Earth Trust is an environmental learning charity which provides access and opportunities for people to discover, appreciate and respect nature via our fantastic natural playground; the iconic landscape we are guardian to. We aim to inspire people to become the environmental advocates of the future, giving them the access, skills and confidence to connect with their own local environment, and ultimately care, and act on, the global issues of sustainability.
Earth Trust is the proud guardian of this very special landscape which is now 1200 acres of farmland, woodland and wetland on the bank of the Thames. We are now the most highly visited free to access greenspace in the South East, with over 150,000 visits per annum. In particular Wittenham Clumps are close to many people’s hearts, holding fond memories for many.
- Engage the public in the environment through access to local natural green spaces as a means to advance their understanding of ecosystems that sustain life on Earth and their role in looking after the planet.
- Demonstrate and communicate sustainable management and the public benefits from the land through farming and the production of food and other products, forestry and the production of timber and wood products, and the management of water and the ecosystems on which clean water depends.
- Care for, improve and interpret green spaces, their biodiversity, ecosystems, and heritage features for the public, education and knowledge.
Building natural connections
Engaging people with the natural world is one of key priorities and we have extensive education, events and volunteering programmes that allow us to do this.
- Over 3000 pupils attend our Earth School each year, learning outside the classroom about the countryside, the web of life and the choices that we make.
- Our unique Countryside Skills programme is designed specifically for children with special educational needs and those who struggle in the traditional classroom setting. Offering the most vulnerable children a sense of achievement and accreditation through practical outdoor activities.
- Our events offer all ages a wide range of opportunities from exploring our farm to learning new skills
- We have hundreds of active volunteers, supporting all aspects of the organisation, who contribute time equivalent to 10 full time members of staff. We really couldn’t do what we do without them!
Exploring the web of life
Earth Trust focus on three key work themes that integral to the web of life: food, trees and water.