Earth Trust is an Environmental Learning Charity and we are the proud guardian of 500 hectares of farmland, woodland, and wetland on the bank of the River Thames. We champion accessible natural green spaces and our mission is to give you the opportunity to engage with your environment through the beautiful green spaces we look after.
We are now the most highly visited free to access greenspace in the South East, with over 150,000 visits per annum. In particular the Wittenham Clumps are close to many people’s hearts, holding fond memories for many.
We are a working farm and we strive to strike a balance between farming, conservation and provision of accessible natural green spaces for people to enjoy.
- Engage the public in the environment through access to local natural green spaces as a means to advance their understanding of ecosystems that sustain life on Earth and their role in looking after the planet.
- Demonstrate and communicate sustainable management and the public benefits from the land through farming and the production of food and other products, forestry and the production of timber and wood products, and the management of water and the ecosystems on which clean water depends.
- Care for, improve and interpret green spaces, their biodiversity, ecosystems, and heritage features for the public, education and knowledge.
Building natural connections
Engaging people with the natural world is one of key priorities and we have extensive education, events and volunteering programmes that allow us to do this.
- Over 3000 pupils attend our Earth School each year, learning outside the classroom about the countryside, the web of life and the choices that we make.
- Our unique Countryside Skills programme is designed specifically for children with special educational needs and those who struggle in the traditional classroom setting. Offering the most vulnerable children a sense of achievement and accreditation through practical outdoor activities.
- Our events offer all ages a wide range of opportunities from exploring our farm to learning new skills
- We have hundreds of active volunteers, supporting all aspects of the organisation, who contribute time equivalent to 10 full time members of staff. We really couldn’t do what we do without them!
Exploring the web of life
Earth Trust focus on three key work themes that integral to the web of life: food, trees and water.