At Earth Trust we have been running visits for schools for over 35 years. We have a small but dedicated team of Earth School Tutors who will work with your students to offer them a unique day of wonder, discovery and learning, all set in the beautiful location of Wittenham Clumps.
Our location and environment are our best teaching tools and every workshop we run is based in the outdoors. We are lucky to boast the site of an Iron Age hill fort, SSSI woodland, grassland and river Thames all within walking distance of our main site.
We can offer workshops to suit any key stage, from nursery groups taking part in our Discover and Play forest school style day; to a GCSE Rivers assessment day. We run a range of workshops including:
- Senses and seasons – this can be adapted for all key stages and times of year
- Habitats and Homes – this can be adapted for all key stages and times of year
- Ancient Britain – can be adapted to suit the time period your class is studying, from Romans to Iron Age
- Eco-Villages – aimed at KS2 and above, this thought-provoking workshop will engage students around sustainability and their environmental footprint
- Survival – adapted to suit your key stage, this is fun workshop focusing on team work and learning new skills – a great one for end of the term or to start the transition to secondary school
- Food on the Farm – adapted to suit your key stage, students will learn about farming practices and take part in practical farming activities
- Wild Art – your class can get creative in the natural environment, adapted to your key stage
Most of our workshops are a full day (10-2.30pm) but some such as Senses and Seasons, Habitats and Homes and Wild Art can be either run as half days or combined together to create a full day of fun and learning.
Earth Trust Centre
The grounds of the Earth Trust Centre provide a wide variety of outdoor learning resources that are fully accessible to those with mobility issues. Including:
- The Learning Barn, courtyard and Fison Barn (including toilets)
- An orchard with rescue chickens
- Wild play area
- Fire pit
- Several open grassy areas for games and activities
- Educational access dipping ponds in a wildlife garden
- Outside toilets
- Access to our sustainable biomass boiler and solar panels
Our Learning Barn
Our base and home at the Earth Trust Centre is a converted timber-framed barn. Comfortably seating up to 60 children and accompanying adults it provides a large sheltered space for introductions, indoor activities and lunches. The under floor heating keeps us toasty on cold days and in good weather you can use our attractive courtyard for lunch. The Learning Barn has ever changing seasonal displays and permanent displays about the history of Wittenham Clumps and other topics such as farming, wildlife, and rivers. Exhibits of ancient artefacts and skeletons of Bronze Age, Iron Age and Roman residents of Wittenham Clumps create an exciting backdrop to any visit.
Depending on your request we can also create bespoke days – please get in touch and we can discuss further how we can meet your needs and objectives.