Little Wittenham Wood
What can I see?
- Ponds – home to dragonflies and damselflies and great crested newts, who use them to breed but spend the majority of time in the surrounding woodland.
- Kingfishers or otters from the bird hide by the Thames.
- Protected species such as the firecrest and red kite.
What’s special about this place?
- Earth Trust uses traditional management techniques such as coppicing, which involves cutting species such as hazel and spindle to their base in the winter time, to create a diverse structure to the woodland habitat as well as producing materials used in hedge laying and hurdle making.
- Each year sections of the rides are coppiced in winter, helping to create open sunny glades and provide perfect habitats for butterflies, other invertebrates and woodland birds.