Your Safety When Visiting the Earth Trust
From enjoying the views on top of the iconic Wittenham Clumps to strolling through a wildflower meadow, from watching red kites soaring over Little Wittenham Wood to enjoying a picnic by the River Thames, there are many reasons why the Earth Trust Farm is such a wonderful place to visit. However, when visiting a working farm like ours, there are inherent risks ranging from uneven ground and steep slopes to tractors working and deep water.
The responsibility for the safety of people visiting the Earth Trust Farm and Nature Reserve is one that is shared between the Earth Trust and our visitors.
What we will do:
- Take reasonable measures to minimise risks in ways that are compatible with the working farm and forestry management – but we will not eliminate all risks.
- Ensure that the work of our staff, volunteers and contractors does not jeopardise visitors’ health or safety, by carrying out risk assessments and taking suitable action.
- Use appropriate signage to highlight a particular hazard but avoid over-signing, for example a natural feature that is an obvious hazard, such as a steep slope, will not be signed but a less obvious hazard, such as grazing cattle, will be signed.
You can help us by:
- Observing and following any signs/notices.
- Being aware of the environment you’re in and acting accordingly e.g. wearing appropriate clothing for the weather conditions, taking extra care when walking on a slippery surface.
- Following any advice/instructions given by Earth Trust staff.
- Taking responsibility for your safety and not acting in a way which would put other visitors at risk of harm.
- Ensuring that children and vulnerable adults are supervised at all times.
- Take responsibility for your dogs, ensuring that you are aware this is a working farm; there are animals grazing the fields which are vulnerable to dogs off leads and picking up dog mess will help ensure this very special site is a pleasant experience for all visitors.
- Please be aware that the use of drones is not permitted on any of green spaces. If you wish to film you will need permission and the relevant paperwork. Please see our drone policy for more information.
We hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip to the Earth Trust.